Choosing to align your goals with a healthier lifestyle is the first step in creating an environment for success! So what the heck does a "healthy lifestyle" mean? It means feeling better, thinking better, and doing your best. Short-term goals may yield faster results, but long term thinking will set you up for sustained awesomeness. Let's talk about getting your surroundings ready for incredible change....
The kitchen is an important space in your home. It can be a space that supports the movement towards health, or a space that is littered with barriers such as "snack traps" that continue to hold us back. So today, we start with a kitchen overhaul...are you ready to get your space ready to support your goals!?
1. Identify all the pots and pans that have matching lids and organize them so they are clean and accessible. Purge those that you do not use or are mismatched.
2. Now take a peak at your Tupperware (don't panic) and get ride of anything that doesn't have a lid, is not used, or is not serving a purpose!
3. Check the cupboards for appliance stockpile...and think about the last time you used it. If longer than a year - pass the goodness on to a friend or donate it at your local thrift store! My rice cooker from college just started a new journey last week...Bon Voyage!
4. De-clutter your counter! Often a catch-all, the counters become bombarded with random items (mail, keys, toys, socks) and add to our sense of overwhelm. We want a space that invites preparing and cooking deliciousness. Clear your table or eating space as well! If we are going to work hard to create a nutritious meal...we want to be able to enjoy with intention!
5. Clean out the pantry and refrigerator, getting rid of anything out of date, stale, or any items that don't make sense with your new eating goals. If it is looking a little bare...don't worry - we will be creating a list of staples to restock our kitchen soon! Timing is important on this step...children are resistant to change, especially if they see their Halloween candy moving on. Don't get sucked into feeling bad for making better choices for your family.
6. Get good snacks ready! When you have cleared out the foods that sabotage healthy eating...we want to replace them with snacks that will fuel our body and build energy. Examples of great accessible snacks include pre-cut veggies like celery, carrots, or peppers. Put healthy options at eye level where you will be drawn to them more often!
Take a run at your kitchen overhaul this week and let us know how it goes! We are excited for you to share how YOU are creating the environment that will help you reach your 2018 goals. After all your hard work, relax and prepare for mission re-stock...coming soon!
-Be healthy, live well